August 27, 2009

Pesto Pasta Please

On my mission to Italy I fell in love with pesto, that delicious basil delight that you put on pasta.
We ate it regularly on my mission, try most every day at lunch over angel hair pasta.

Well several years ago my neighbor dropped by our house with a basketful of Basil and asked if we would take a bunch of it. We did, and my obsession with Pesto resumed. Every year since that summer I have planted a garden full of basil. We harvest it periodically throughout the summer and I make huge batches of Pesto. I then save some for dinner and freeze the rest in ice cube trays that then go in a big zip lock bag to use all winter long.

Well you might have guessed but if you ask my kids what they want for dinner, most days they yell "Pesto Pasta Please" So we have delicious pesto pasta all winter long.

Well it is that time of year again when I am making and freezing Pesto. My kids love to help me pick the leaves off the Basil and look forward to dipping pita's into the pesto that is left in the food processor after it is over. I even hand Trenton the spatula which he licks with delight. You would think It was a cake batter and not Pesto. But they love it, I love it and really it is one of my favorite parts of summer, to store up yummy food for winter.

Here are the kids picking basil leaves off the stems.

1 people feeding my addiction to comments:

Sarah said...

Yummy!! Your basil looks amazing....I am totally jealous! It's so cute how all your kids are helping, i bet their hands smelt so good!